A property management company has been fined after a homeowner sustained burns when he unknowingly ignited a gas leak.
The property had recently been refurbished and a gas cooker was removed. The gas pipe was not sealed off leaving an open-ended pipe connected to the main gas supply and was only turned off at the meter. The HSE found that the company in control of the refurbishment work had failed to ensure so far as was reasonably practicable that persons not in their employment were not exposed to risks to their health and safety from the gas installation.
When the homeowner moved in, he proceeded to use the central heating boiler which caused the gas to leak into his home. When he tried to use his cooker, the leak gas ignited resulting in a small explosion and fire. The homeowner sustained smoke inhalation and burns which required medical treatment.
The Property Management company was found guilty of breaching Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act. The company was fined £40,000 and ordered to pay costs of £11,105.90.