Girl Aged 5 Suffers Fatal Head Injuries Following Swing Collapse
A London Borough Council has been sentenced following the death of a five year old girl back in 2015 due to safety failings at their playground.
The young girl suffered fatal head injuries when play equipment gave way due to rotting wood. The playground had not been inspected since 2013 prior to this incident. Had the equipment been sufficiently inspected and tested the risk may have been identified to avoid such scenarios.
The Council responsible were handed a fine of £330,000 and ordered to pay costs of £6,204.
Regular site inspections are key to ensuring the safety of the public. In this case there were clear failings which could have been avoided.