The director of a Turkish restaurant in London has been fined after an 8-year-old boy trapped his hand in a mincing hand leaving him with life-changing injuries.
Upon investigation, it was found that the company had no written risk assessments, training, or other safety procedures in place. It was also found that the in-built fixed guard on the mincing machine has been purposely removed using an angle grinder. This guard was a safety obligation and removing it caused the child’s injuries when his hand was trapped.
The director pleaded guilty to one count of failing to ensure the safety of employees and one count of failing to ensure dangerous machinery had the require safety measures in place.
In total, the company / director was fined £70,000 with costs of £16,557.27 awarded to the Council.